Chairpersons Newsletter 2017
1. The New Year 2017 started with the promulgation of the Professional Architects Act Regulations (also referred to as Code of Practice) on the 1st January 2017. As a reminder, the Professional Architects Council Act was voted in the National Assembly in the Year 2011.
With the Regulations 2017 in force, the Professional Architects Council is now in a better position to act in cases of Professional misconduct and other disciplinary action.
The Professional Indemnity Insurance is a must for all architects as per the Regulations
2. The Construction Industry Development Board is presently registering firms of architects as the Professional Architects Council Act 2011 does not provide for registration of firms of architects.
The necessary amendments to the Professional Architects Council Act are being worked out in collaboration with Ministry of Public Infrastructure, The construction Industry Development Board and the State Law Office.
Other amendments are being considered in order to make the Professional Architects Council better equipped vis a vis the profession and other construction Professionals.
3. Professional Architects Council New Premises
The Government Quarters No 28 situated at Vacoas has been leased to Professional Architects Council since August 2015. Quotations were sought from prospective contractors to carry out the renovation works.
After perusal of the quotations and discussions at the level of the Professional Architects Council it was decided not to go ahead with the renovation as the costs were very high indeed and beyond affordability of the Professional Architects Council. The Ministry of Public Infrastructure was informed accordingly.
4. Professional Architects Council Website
The design and setting up of the Professional Architects Council website was entrusted to Impetus Digital. A trial version is ready and shall be operational in the coming weeks.
5. Electronic Receipt System
The setting up of an electronic receipt system is already operational since the year 2016. This makes it easier to keep track of the payments due from architects. It gives status of each architect in so far as annual payments or joint venture payments are concerned.